MARCH 2 is celebrated as Independence Day in Texas, marking the state’s separation from Mexico in 1836.
Here are 10 fun facts about Texas you might not know about!
1. The Republic of Texas then maintained its independence for almost 10 years before being incorporated into the United States in 1845.
2. The area of Texas is almost three times that of the UK.
5. Texas is an anagram of the word taxes. The only other US state which has a common one-word anagram of its name is Minnesota in the midwest (nominates).
3. Texas accounts for 7.4 per cent of the land area of the USA. It was 8.8 per cent until Alaska joined.
4. In 1987, the lightning whelk Busycon perversum pulleyi was named official state shell of Texas.
6. The Armadillo is the official state mammal of Texas.
7. Since 1976, when the US Supreme Court brought back judicial execution, 40 per cent of all executions in the US have taken place in Texas.
8. The state flower is the bluebonnet. Since 1933 its official state flower song has been Bluebonnets by Julia D Booth and Lora C Crockett.
9. There used to be a law in Texas specifically making it illegal to milk another person’s cow.
We hope you have learnt something new today!
StickeeBra believes in always improving ourselves, healthy and happy living, as well as maintaining close relationships with our family, partner and friends. Without the support of our loved ones, there wouldn't be us here today.
Happy Texas Independence Day, enjoy your holiday with your loved ones.
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this article intend to highlight alternative studies and induce conversation. They are the views of the (others) author(s) and do not necessarily represent the views of StickeeBra, and are for informational purposes only, even if and to the extent that it features the advice of physicians and medical practitioners. This article is not, nor is it intended to be, a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment and should not be relied upon for specific medical advice.
Sources and Credits:
Special Thanks to